Sunday, September 12, 2010

Why Can't My Life be a Musical?: XANADU

Yesterday, theater again showed me that life is good. As a class requirement we were asked to watch Xanadu in RCBC Theater. At first I was fidgety because our tickets are for on stage seats. Meaning, yeah, we are to sit on stage.

Xanadu by Atlantis Productions is a remake of the 1980 hit musical of the same title. Well, the movie did not do good, but that's another story.lol. The original Xanadu starred Olivia Newton John as Clio, Michael Beck as Sonny Malone, and other great stars under the direction of Robert Greenwald.


The story revolves around the life of a frustrated and suicidal artist Sonny Malone who have been trying to create a magnificent and meaningful work of art. In the midst of his frustration, the muses that Sonny Malone drew in his mural heard him and decided to help in his artistic endeavor. The muses then decided that their leader Clio put on a disguise as an Australian on skates and then meet Sonny Malone. Their meeting will then uncover strings leading to envy, greed, lost love and back to love itself.

In the Atlantis Production, Clio was played by Rachel Alejandro. Before, I know of Rachel as a good singer and actress, but when I saw her in Xanadu, she was amazing. For me it is her best role so far, she just awed me with how she can switch from Australian accent, to British , to southern accent, of course while most of the time in skates. Her voice prowess is unquestionable, her costume looked good on her, her acting is mesmerizing.



Though my favorite actor for the night is the one who played Calliope, the muse of epic. From the first scene my eyes and ears are glued on her. Her voice is divine, acting comes out naturally that once in a while I DO BELIEVE that she IS a muse! I've yet to know her name, but really she is just great.

Kudos also to the other actors who in between numerous costume change was able to bring it on all the time with a bang. Imagine that there were only 8 people acting, on my last count they portray 3 different characters   at the least through out the play.


Xanadu will be shown until September 19, I highly recommend it.
pics are from here and here
video is from here

No comments:

Post a Comment